Thursday, March 31, 2016

Goals Met? (03/31/16)

In my very first post, I set some goals for myself. It's been a long month, and I want to report how I've done on these. (Link here!)

I'm still really sorry because of how much I write (and how much you have to read).

Goal #1: Don't write too much. I always seem to start off too ambitiously and end up paying for it later on when I can't keep up. If I can keep word counts around or below 300 most days, that would be great.
Yeah, that goal didn't last very long. I haven't checked word counts on every post, but most of them are around 500 words, maybe more. It isn't much of a bad thing for me because I did keep up throughout the month, although smaller word counts may be easier for you readers to digest.
Goal #2: Be creative. Start off entries differently as often as possible. I find that the hardest part about writing is finding how to start, so the more creatively I start these, the more creativity both you and I may harness later in writing. 
I would say that I pretty much met that goal. My personal favorites were the one where I left a bunch of space empty on Writing Prompts  and the cliffhanger between Books- the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Part 1 and Part 2. I have to admit, the math problem in Long Car Trips was fun to write as well.
Goal #3: Make it through every single day of March with a post per day. In past years, I did not use internet to post things and I occasionally made up days that I previously missed. I shouldn't be away from a computer an entire day this month, so as long as I have time, I should be able to make it.
I didn't quite make it all the way through this year. I missed two days: the 11th and the 13th. The 11th was because of a school function that went late, like I mentioned in Thing. The 13th, though, wasn't a matter of time, but of energy. I could see the computer from across the room, yet I didn't want to make any effort to use it. It was just One of THOSE Days.
Goal #4: Provide a clean, PG level blog. I will not post any mature content, and I request that you do the same. I don't want to make anyone read something above their maturity level.
So far, everything's been good. Thanks, everyone!
Goal #5: Be accurate. You saw the title of this blog, and you know what it means- Tell me if I'm wrong. All I ask is that you would please be respectful and have something useful to say. In other words, if you say that I messed up a fact, provide evidence. If you have a differing opinion, I would love to hear your side of the story if word it respectfully. All rude or inappropriate comments will not be approved and posted.
I didn't really have many comments that weren't all good things. There was a rule of which I was unaware that was pointed out to me in the comments, and I appreciate both the action and the wording of the comment. No hard feelings here! :) You can still comment if you see something wrong in any of the posts, and I will do my best to fix it.
Goal #6: Improve my analogies. I trying to find a way to word something earlier (I eventually took it out) and I came up with this analogy to make my point: Most vegetarians eat lettuce, but not all people who eat lettuce are vegetarian. Yeah, it could use some work. :)
I don't know how often I really used analogies. but none were blatantly obnoxious. Please tell me if you have a specific example that you think needs help, and I can try to improve it to the best of my ability.

I think there were a few other things that were accomplished over this past month as well. Many people have told me how much they liked my poem in Hush Little Reader... , and I think between that and I Thought You Hated Poetry, my ability and understanding of poetry has increased. In my English class, we just started talking about Shakespeare and his iambic pentameter (fun big words!), so I'm sure there'll be more to look forward to in poetry from that as well.

It's been a good month. I felt like I could speak my mind to many more people than if I tried to speak in person, and I could do it all whenever I wanted, wherever I wanted, and about whatever I wanted. When I got near the end, I started planning different topics to talk about and assigned them a day, but I don't feel like everything has been used that should have. It gets hard to keep up the whole "each day for a month" thing, but I don't want to stop posting. I know that the Slice Of Life world has something with writing once a week, and I might try something like that. It is nice to stockpile ideas for March, though, so maybe I'll drop out for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, which happens in November) and hibernate until March next year. No matter how it settles, I do plan to go on!

Sorry, everyone. You're stuck with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment